I lighted a cigarette as soon as I got on to the street. I walked among the people; busy New Yorkers seemed to be always in a hurry so I’ve got used to the atmosphere around me. During the last year I’d learned to leave others outside – it was just me and the city, the light and the movement: the rhythmic sounds and images surrounded me every time I stepped to the streets which were still wet after the rain.
Stupid rain made me sleepy – as it did every fall – but today was different. It felt like summer were here again. Or, to put it better, it was coming. And I was walking to welcome her. I passed the 39th West street and turned to Madison avenue. I loved this avenue, maybe because its old buildings and beautiful trees the branches of which turned upon my head and reached out to the starry skies.
But the real reason why I loved this street was more personal. I loved this avenue, because every time I turned around the corner to walk through it, I saw her. My summer, my joy. She was standing still among the people passing by, waiting for me. Her eyes wondered around the unfamiliar faces until they caught me. Smile turned up to her lips and her beautiful eyes started to sparkle – and I replied to that smile with my own, dreamy grin. I dumped my cigarette and reached out my arms to grab her inside them. I laughed and hugged her tight. And for a moment, I said nothing.
“Hi Jonathan”, she murmured against my shoulder.
“Hi Julia”, I whispered my answer to her ear and closed my eyes, just for a second, so I could embrase the moment just a little longer: I was holding the sun inside my arms, and I couldn’t help but smile. Finally I wasn’t alone.
Ei kommentteja:
Lähetä kommentti